Question by gravvyboat: Anyone ever seen a SurfControl report?
I just found out my company monitors its top internet users. I am one of these. They use SurfControl.
Anyone know how your activity is broken down on one of these? Anyone have an extra they could mail me?
Worried at Work!
Answer by High Jack
SurfControl Plc., LSE: SRF, is a British software company, based in Congleton, that produces Internet filtering and desktop security products. The company provides website filtering, e-mail filtering and desktop security software for both enterprise and home users.
Current product range
The following SurfControl products make up what is known as the “Enterprise Protection Suite”:
* SurfControl Web Filter – Website filtering software available as a standalone product and as a plug-in for a range of firewall software and hardware
* SurfControl E-mail Filter – E-mail filtering software available as a standalone product and as a plug-in to Microsoft Exchange
* SurfControl Enterprise Threat Shield – Enterprise level, real-time desktop security software
* SurfControl Mobile Filter – An addition to SurfControl Web Filter which offers filtering for mobile devices
* SurfControl Web Filter for Citrix – Web Filtering software for users of Citrix Presentation Server.
* SurfControl Report Central – Reporting software for the e-mail and web filter software
SurfControl also currently offer the following products:
* RiskFilter – Rack mountable hardware appliance containing e-mail filtering software and hardened Linux Operating System.
* CyberPatrol – Web filtering software for home users (Windows)
* SurfControl Web Filter for ISA Server is available on appliance hardware from Celestix Inc.
Categories used in website filtering
Administrators that deploy SurfControl Web Filter can allow or restrict access to websites by category if they wish. Administrators that deploy SurfControl E-mail Filter have the ability to create rules which allow or restrict e-mail messages based on the category of embedded URL links.
The following list of categories is not necessarily exhaustive; SurfControl have the ability to create new categories and administrators can also create their own categories.
* Adult/Sexually Explicit
* Advertisements & Popups
* Alcohol & Tobacco
* Blogs & Forums
* Computing & Internet
* Criminal Activity
* Fashion & Beauty
* Finance & Investment
* Food & Dining
* Health & Medicine
* Hobbies & Recreation
* Hosting Sites
* Illegal Drugs
* Intimate Apparel & Swimwear
* Intolerance & Hate
* Job Search & Career Development
* Kids Sites
* Motor Vehicles
* Personals & Dating
* Philanthropic & Professional Orgs.
* Phishing & Fraud
* Photo Searches
* Proxies & Translators
* Ringtones/Mobile Phone Downloads
* Real Estate
* Search Engines & Portals
* Sex Education
* Society & Culture
* Spam URLs
* Streaming Media
* Tasteless & Offensive
* Web-Based E-Mail